Rights and Advocacy

Send yourself or someone else a link to this page:

Send to email address:
What's your name?

Speak Up, York Children's Rights and Advocacy Service provides rights and advocacy support to children and young people in care or on child protection plans. Speak Up can also support all children and young people in York to make a complaint if they are unhappy about something. Find out more about making a complaint.

Rights and advocacy

Speak Up provide an advocacy service in York for children and young people in care or on child protection plans. Speak Up is here to help you understand your rights and to help you have your voice heard.

The people at the Speak Up service are called advocates and they are there to speak on your behalf and help resolve any problems or issues you have. Advocates are confidential, and won't talk to your social worker, foster carers or any other workers without asking your permission (unless you are putting yourself or someone else in danger).

Advocates can help you...

  • find the right words to make sure you're listened to.
  • express your views and get them heard.
  • get information about what you want to know.
  • work out what your options are.
  • sort things out with the adults in your life.
  • complain about a service or the way you have been treated.
  • and many many more...

Advocates are there to represent you and only do what you ask. They'll stop anytime you say you don't want their help anymore.

If you'd like the support of an advocate, please contact Speak Up on 07769725174 or showmethatimatter@york.gov.uk. Alternatively, you can use the online contact form.

Making a complaint

It's your right to speak out if you are not happy about something. If you would like to make a complaint, you can contact Speak Up by calling/texting 07769725174 or by emailing showmethatimatter@york.gov.uk.

You can make a complaint yourself by contacting Have Your Say at haveyoursay@york.gov.uk. If you wish to speak to someone in the complaints team you can ring free phone 0800 1380 133.